A recent report has shed light on the severe lack of women in leadership positions within the cryptocurrency and blockchain industries. The study, which analyzed 50 major crypto and blockchain companies, found that women make up a mere 6% of CEOs, while men hold the remaining 94% of executive roles.
The gender gap becomes even more evident when looking beyond the CEO position. Across broader leadership roles, men occupy 77.6%, with only 22.4% held by women. This disparity highlights an imbalance, as more women are reaching senior levels below the CEO.
Among the companies surveyed, Chainalysis emerged as the leader in female inclusion, with women holding 46% of leadership roles. Other notable companies include BitOasis and Coinbase, with approximately 42% and 33% female representation in leadership, respectively.
Women also face significant challenges in terms of having their voices heard and recognized in the crypto industry. The report revealed that out of the top 50 influencers on Twitter in the crypto sphere, only 7 were women. This means that just 14% of prominent voices in the crypto space are female.
Among the influential women, Layah Heilpern ranked highest in terms of reach and engagement. Ripple CEO Brad Garlinghouse was recognized as the most engaging crypto influencer overall.
Interestingly, developing nations seem to have more equal engagement between genders in terms of general crypto ownership. Countries such as Vietnam, Kenya, Colombia, and Indonesia all exhibited strong involvement from women in the crypto space. Vietnam had the smallest gap, with only a 6 percentage point difference between male and female ownership. In fact, over 24% of women in Vietnam own crypto, making it the country with the highest proportion of female crypto ownership globally. India and the Philippines also ranked highly for female participation in crypto ownership.
These numbers indicate that although the crypto industry has traditionally been male-dominated, there is an increasing adoption of digital currencies by women, particularly in emerging markets. However, it is clear that more needs to be done to improve female inclusion and representation in the upper echelons of the crypto industry.
The report serves as a reminder that diversity and inclusivity are essential for the growth and success of any industry. By addressing the gender gap in leadership positions, the crypto and blockchain industries can benefit from a broader range of perspectives and talent, ultimately driving innovation and progress.